Monday 17 June 2013

Post-Modernism.

I was off sick for two weeks, so I completely missed the classes on Post-Modernism and am only now finding the time to start catching up on that. So here we go. 

Post-Modernism
From the mid- to late-1960's, as Abstract Expressionism had been falling out of favour, many artists began turning to such movements as Conceptualism, Super-Realism and Neo-Expressionism - all precursors to Post-Modernism. 

So what is Post-Modernism? According to our PowerPoint presentation, it is the rejection of the utopian aspects of modernism; Wikipedia describes it as skeptical interpretations of culture, literature, art, philosophy, economics, architecture, fiction, and literary criticism. It also says that post-modernism describes movements which both arise from, and react against or reject, trends in modernism. 

Cindy Sherman
One of the photographers mentioned in the slideshow is Cindy Sherman. Her name is familiar to me, though I can't remember why. Sherman is best known for her conceptual portraits, something that I want to get into myself, so she seems like a good person to research. 

And going through her images now, I know where I have heard her name - John Dobson mentioned her in class, as he loved the images that she takes of dolls. Personally I find them to be a little creepy, though I know many people were inspired by said images.

No comments:

Post a Comment