Sunday 12 May 2013

Linger: Some Final Thoughts.

Today I printed my assignment. Right from the start I knew that I just wanted to do a simple print for my first assignment, both because it would be easier and at this point in time it is just more cost effective for me. I would leave more interesting presentation thoughts for parts two and three of this assignment. 

I printed my black and white photo on some Ilford Galerie Smooth Lustre Duo instead of the usual glossy papers that I would use, because I might preferred the look of the smooth lustre. For presentation to the class, a bigger size might have been better, and I feel I've let myself down by not thinking of this beforehand. This is something to keep in mind for future assignments.

I have permission from both of my models to use my shot for portfolio work. As this was all that I needed it for, that was all that mattered to me.

What would I do better next time? 

Honestly? Everything. I didn't get the exact shot that I was hoping for, so next time I would do more than one photo shoot with the same model. I would do the first shoot, look at my shots and decide on what needed to be changed, then do the second shoot - and keep going until I got exactly what I was looking for. I would also remember to take my shot-list with me to the shoot, because I feel that this would have helped me greatly. 
In terms of the photograph itself, next time I would choose a better location, use a later time of the day, and use either fill-flash or a reflector to get some more light into my model's faces. I feel that this is where I lack in a lot of my portraits - I can just never get my outdoor lighting right, and my subjects always seem to lack the light and contrast that I'm always after. 

As already stated, in terms of printing I would print bigger than the A4 shot I have now, and perhaps print on canvas. Canvas is something that I haven't ever printed on, though I absolutely love the look of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment