Thursday 9 May 2013

Cubism.

Movements, once again. 

Cubism
Cubism was a movement that was started in the early twentieth century by Georges Braque and Pablo Picasso, both of whom were influenced by the post-impressionist Paul Cezanne, who rejected the traditional artists' ideas on perspective. Cubism is based around the idea of using shapes - cubes, cones, spheres, etc. - to show an image from many different perspectives, thus showing volume and the passage of time.

No doubt the most famous artist related to this movement is Picasso, as his paintings are known world-wide and are cited as the inspiration for many works of Cubism today.

Joshua Naylor
In photography, Cubism is often seen in the form of "Joiners" - a series of photographs that are taken and then joined together to create one image, such as this example by Joshua Naylor:

I like this example because although it is one image, it is made up of several different images all relating to the one theme - people in their private spaces. I find this more interesting than joiners that show just one image. It gives me more to look at, tells more of a story, and I just find it attractive.

Before researching Cubism, I really wasn't a fan of it. Whenever the movement came to mind, I only ever thought of the few Picasso pieces that I knew of, with distorted faces and body parts. But after learning of joiners, and of the extremely long exposures by Michael Wesely, I've found that I have a liking for some aspects of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment