Thursday 4 April 2013

Modern Surrealism.

Wednesday had us continuing our research on surrealism to a degree, but we moved forward into modern surrealism

Modern Surrealism
I said that surrealism was one of my favourite movements, but I didn't know that modern surrealism existed! Modern surrealism is, I suppose, the movement that most of my favourite photographers fall into. It deals greatly with image manipulation, with making things look unreal, and I could never get enough of it.  

Like surrealism, when it comes to film this would be achieved with double exposures, putting things onto the negative, blending two negatives and making them one. It obviously got easier when the digital age came along, with the advent of programs like Photoshop and Illustrator.

I know, without a doubt, that my love of this movement stems from my love of reading and writing fantasy novels. The two go hand in hand. 

Jerry Uelsmann
Since I already know a fair few modern surrealists who use Photoshop as their main tool, I wanted to take a look at somebody who was doing this before the digital age came into being. Uelsmann is one such photographer.

Some of his images are so simple and yet so breathtaking. Then the more complex ones just blow my mind and make me wonder how he managed to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment