Wednesday 27 March 2013

Surrealism.

Today had us looking at our next photographic movement: surrealism. 

Surrealism
This is a movement that I was at least a little bit familiar with when we started out. Surrealism was all about the strange - making things look abnormal or unreal. 
These results were achieved by use of double exposure, distortion, manipulation of the negative, and many, many other ways. 

Philippe Halsman
I've mentioned previously that I briefly studied Halsman last year, so now is a good time to bring him up again. It is well known that he often collaborated with surrealist painter Salvador Dali, and as such produced many images that fall into this movement. By far his most famous, I believe, is Dali Atomicus

 Dali Atomicus.

Halsman was not only known for his surrealist work - he was also known for being a fashion photographer, and for having the most images featured as the cover of Life magazine before they stopped publication. But his fashion work was more in the style of the modernist. It's really only his collaborations with Dali that were surrealistic. 

I think it goes without saying that surrealism is one of my favourite movements. I just love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment